130 Foot Artillery of the Guard, 1st Empire
The gun crew of the Imperial Guard have a twelve pounder gun of the Gribeauval system in position ready for firing. They wear their campaign uniforms with muskets slung across their backs.
The Foot Artillery of the Guard was formed in 1808 from veterans of the Line Artillery, and equipped with 12 pounder cannons. At Wagram this elite unit formed the core of the great one hundred and two gun 'Grand Battery' which ensured a successful outcome, though at great cost. They further distinguished themselves at Borodino, Lutzen and Hanau.
At the Battle of Waterloo the Grand Artillery served their guns with valour, and fought to the end rather than retreating.